Market Trends – The Thanos Effect

Yours for a cool $1000

After a long and hard fought Free Comic Book Day I went out and enjoyed the new Avengers movie at the local cinema. I was told to stay through the credits for a pleasant surprise so I did. To my delight I saw Thanos, all majestic atop an asteroid formulating Earth’s demise.

On my way home it occurred to me, because I am so on the ball, that Iron Man #55 would be a natural next pick for my Undervalued Spotlight. Not only did Iron Man #55, a Bronze Age key with a rich and storied history as a collectible, introduce us to Thanos it also introduced us to Drax the Destroyer, Mentor, Eros and Kronos. I could see Drax and company also making a cameo in Avengers 2.

I started writing the spotlight, diligently digging into facts and adding my own personal insights to a book I’ve sold many of over the years. While doing the research it hit me that this book doesn’t belong as an Undervalued Spotlight piece, though of course at it’s current Overstreet Price Guide levels it is undervalued, this book is a natural feature for my next Market Trends post and here’s why.

In the span of one week the market for this book has exploded. All thanks to that little one minute scene near the end of the credits of the Avengers movie.

CGC graded 9.6 copies held a 2011 sales average over 9 sales of $724, while the last 12 month average over 8 sales saw an $857 average. The last sale in April 30th 2012, after the movie opened, was a whopping $1,424. Compare that to the CGC 9.6 that got $800 just 2 months ago. We’ve seen a 78% increase in the market value of this book when comparing the last two recorded sales as of this post.

CGC graded 9.4 copies were in 2011 averaging $464 on 11 tracked sales, it’s 12 month average shows a little better at $525 on 16 sales while the 90 day average is $593 on 6 sales. But the latest sale posted on May 4th saw the book earn a healthy $700.

It’s even crazier over at CGC 9.2. The 2011 average over 13 sales was $322, the 12 moths average over 13 sales is $379, while the last recorded sale on May 6th 2012 was $877, insane! This May 6th CGC 9.2 sale eclipsed the May 4th 9.4 sale. What would a May 10th 9.6 sale get?

Today May 8th I saw a CGC 9.2 copy posted on eBay with a $999.99 Buy It Now price! Will someone bite?

I’m telling you there’s enough money in this racket to invest in a little insider trading. I’m going to find a pen pal at Disney who will feed me what little tidbit scenes lie in wait in the next Iron Man, Captain America and Thor movies. Freedom 55 here we come!!

Is this a market overreaction to a tantalizing reveal in a hugely successful movie? Time will tell.

Walter Durajlija Written by:

Walter Durajlija is an Overstreet Advisor and Shuster Award winner. He owns Big B Comics in Hamilton Ontario.

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

1. Doug
    May 8, 2012

yes this was a treat seeing the purple one at the end of movie. The ovie had some funny parts too

2. miraclemet
    May 9, 2012

Topic: Movie Villain speculation vs Movie Hero speculation? How do price spikes compare? I don’t recall Sabertooth taking a big jump from the Wolverine movie, of course it already had a hefty price tag.

• Mike Huddleston
        May 9, 2012

I would think Marvel Two In One Annual #2 would get a lift too. It features an epic battle between Thanos and the Avengers, Spider-man, The Thing, and Warlock.

• May 9, 2012

I jumped on the GPA and it seems there are no sales post the movie release though a CGC 9.8 did fetch $425 on April 13th (not sure if the Thanos appearance was known at that time). The sale prior to that for a 9.8 was back in December 2011 and it only got $266.

3. Doug
    May 9, 2012

what about Logan’s Run #1…. First Thanos solo story??!?!

4. Doug
    May 10, 2012

ooops I meants #6 Logan’s Run…. my bad…. Red cover looking like issue run… Sorry

• May 10, 2012

That whole Captain Marvel run in the 20s and early 30s has gone up too probably. That was a good Starlin run.

• miraclemet
      May 11, 2012

I’M curious to see how the market treats Logan’s run #6 since it is the first solo Thanos, but it’s not inside the Marvel universe proper.

• miraclemet
        May 11, 2012

even crazier, is there are ZERO (from what I can find online) of these in CGC grade on the market right now (the Logan’s run #6). Since it was still relatively cheap, maybe people are holding the book to see if it takes a leap in price.

• Doug
          May 18, 2012

someone at a con I went to recently had a 9. cgc for $220.00

• Raymond
            June 20, 2013

Wow Doug. I recently bought a N/M condition Logan’s Run #6, I paid a rather low price, $10.00. I did chance on the book at a local flea market, which may have affected the price. The artwork on the book by Mike Zeck, is amazing.

5. Frank Chang
    June 19, 2012

Much rather have a Iron Man #1 vs #55. If you buy the IM#55 at current prices you will only see a decline in the future unless you find another buyer who is more excited than you about the next movie. Right now IM#1 and #55 are the same price almost on ebay and you must be joking me if you think the #55 will overtake the #1 in the overstreet.
    As Chuck D of Public Enemy ones said “Don’t believe the hype”

6. Juan
    March 18, 2014

To be honest, Iron Man 55 may be the most overrated and overvalued comic book on the market. I sold a 9.2 and I’m holding a 9.0, so, I’m not saying this because I wish I had one – Thanos is overrated and this book’s rising value is hysterical.

7. Readcomix
    May 21, 2016

Logan’s Run #6 is undervalued because in the story Thanos throws a child down a flight of stairs. It’s right out of a pre-code horror book!