1. Dave Mackay
    7/27/2010

HI WALT…THIS IS THE ELECTRIC COMPANY LIST FOR Marvel Keys and collecting.
    Im glad you corrected yourself with mentioning in passing Avengers #4. Captain Americas first appearance….all the other Avengers had marvel appearances pre Avengers #1.
    Further I feel bad for investors who might buy Sgt Fury#1 or Strange Tales #110 before FF #4 1st Sub-mariner, FF # 5 1st Dr Doom….FF #6…First Super Villian Teamup.
    Or how about Spiderman #14…the first Spidey/Green Goblin mix up…..Id suggest FF#12, molded more imaginations then almost any above mentioned books.
    And Id suggest FF #48 with the first ever Galactus appearance was the book that took Marvel to or past DC comics in the hit parade.

2. Frank Chang
    7/28/2010

I believe Avengers 4 should definetly be mentioned ahead of Strange Tales 110. Captain America is the leader of the Avengers and is simply 10 times more important than Dr. Strange. A 3-D Mega Blockbuster Movie is supported by Cap and yet Dr. Strange’s popularity could only draw a cartoon released on DVD only.

3. Dave Woods
    7/30/2010

I’ve been collecting comics for over 30 years and I rarely hear anyone seeking out a copy of Strange Tales #110, DD #1, Sgt. Fury #1 or TTA #27. I realize the importance these books hold in the Marvel ranks but not many seasoned collectors truely care. Spidey #1 being pushed down a list behind DD and just before Sgt. Fury based solely on it beng Spidey’s second appearance is crazy. An investment tip should be based on popularity of the character and long term staying power of the comic to increase in value. Early appearances of major villians or crossovers of heroes in other titles would be a more suitable choice for a true top 12 list for investing purposes. Avengers #4, F.F. #5, Spidey #14, F.F.’s #12,#25 & #48. I believe, like the other Dave before me, would make collectors more money down the road.

4. Frank Chang
    9/9/2010

Dave and Dave I couldn’t agree with you more

5. ComicBookDaily
    9/9/2010

@ Frank, Dave and Dave
    I see you guys mocking my list but I see no list from you guys :)

Walt

6. ornios
    9/11/2010

I look at this list in a different way. Not necessarily in order of importance or value but of originality. Here are my top 4:

Incredible Hulk #1
    Totally original. You have Dr. Banner, a respected professional being betrayed by a friend/colleague who tries to kill him by having a gamma ray bomb blast in front of him. Ouch! Dr. Banner sacrifices himself to save a skinny/scrawny kid (Rick Jones) from the effects of the bomb blast. But Banner doesn’t die. He gets mad and turns into the Hulk! Many people/enemies try to destroy the Hulk but his strength is superior and he survives everything thrown at him. Most stories in this series are revenge themed and everyone likes a hero out for revenge!

Amazing Fantasy #15
    Who can argue with Spidey? The effects of being bit by a radioactive spider! Here we have a naive and unsuspecting Peter Parker having the opportunity to stop a thief coming right towards him but he lets him pass by and the thief gets away. This thief ironically kills Peter’s Uncle Ben and, as a result, part of Peter dies with his uncle. But Peter survives and learns that “With great power comes great responsibility”. He shows he has tremendous physical and emotional strength and he is transformed into the hero we know & love today!

Avengers #4
    This one is very important because it is the dream of the “average Joe”. Steve Rogers – a small, skinny, weakling army reject gets instantaneously and artificially transformed into a person of great stature and strength. He is not a superhero – he is just a man that was in the right place at the right time. He becomes Captain America – a hero with no special power weapons or abilities. He initially needs to be part of a team to survive but, like many before him, leaves the team to find his own destiny.

Fantastic Four #13
    Many will be surprised with this choice? “Uatu” (or more commonly known as “the Watcher”) was first introduced in this issue. The Watcher is a very unusual character in the Marvel Universe. He is arguably the most powerful (even more than Galactus) but we will never know the true extent of this power due to the Watcher’s sworn oath to “only observe”. To see evil and destruction acting around you must be very straining to most people, but the Watcher carries on. He selectively, on occasion, breaks his oath (especially after confiding with mere mortals) but generally watches tragedy after tragedy unfold. Maybe the watcher is evil himself? Maybe a first appearance of a non-hero key should not be rated this high? The debate is out!

7. ComicBookDaily
    9/11/2010

Great approach to the list ornios.
    I’ve always loved Fantastic Four #13 and have had it in my scopes for an Undervalued Spotlight for a while. I always thought the Watcher was more like the eyes of God. Sees all, seems indifferent and does not interfere.
    I do think Spidey is more original than the Hulk though. The Hulk owes a bit to Jekyll and Hyde.
    I still think Avengers #4 is a re-launch book and not deserving of the same status as any of the issues I’ve listed. It seems I’m in the minority on this one.
    Walt

8. Dave Mackay
    11/29/2010

Hi Walt !
    My post included books I felt were more important, Such as Hulk 181 and Giant sized Xmen 1 ( 1975) and so on …..but I guess it was edited…oh well, next time….
    And Hi to everyone who posted a comment !

9. Brandon
    8/23/2012

to look at the best marvel comics to invest which are still low i would pick what i call BLUE CHIP stock comics. Comics with heroes who were always popular but are about to become very popular with the help of block buster movies coming out in the next 5 to 10 years.

Fantastic Four #52 Black Panther Appearance

Movie is coming out in a few years. it will be huge. a very original character plus will not only have his first solo movie but is heard to be joining the Avengers #3 movie.

Tales of Suspense #52 FIrst Black Widow Appearance

Not only is this solo movie coming out 100 percent. but has been on avengers films and will be on Nick Fury’s new movie with Samuel L Jackson. as well as 2 more Avenger films. This character was done really well on Avengers and has proven that this girl is not a typical sissy character like the cat woman on the new batman rises movie. She has brains, brawn and just has a really great appeal. She is marketed like Sigorney Weaver. the name Black Window…will stick and may become a very big franchise.

Wolverine #1(special edition series) First Solo Comic

these comics are still cheap as hell but guess who is going to be looking for these when they get older…all the kids who raved about him for years. This guy is one cool cat and is coming out with more movies. cool story, cool personality, cool look…just cool. Every kid thinks so and every kid will want this comic.I think this comic will go up in price in 20 years and go from under a hundred to ten to 20 thousand before 2030.

those three of what i mentioned will be bigger than Ant Man (tales to Astonish #27). The only reason i think this is because Ant Man is very hard to make into a movie without being cheesy. And all this time he never really was that big (pardon the pun) a character.

I have Nick Fury Agent of Shield #1 at 9.2….i am very proud of it. I did not know Nick Fury was Sgt Fury though. It makes so much sense. although i think it is as cool as sh**( Sgt Fury is hardly at all popular. he is no popular than SGT Rock. those comics are not worth much and….. if they are…no one wants them. The people who did want them…are dead or too old to know whats going on.

I have been looking for Ant Man…there are no decent copies out there (tales to Astonish #27). i have a feeling that the worth of Antman will go back down in a few years. They hype was just created from the avengers movie….but no one really cares very much. even kids….they never talk about him. I always judge by what the kids talk about now because those are the ones that will drive the prices up in another 20-40 years.

They always talk about spider-man, wolverine, hulk (probably more than any hero on the planet), Batman and iron man. those are the most talked about internationally.

I suppose the new spider-man movie and wonder-woman may be big too. but they lost so much steam over the years. i could be wrong though. i am only guessing.

• Brandon
      8/23/2012

i meant superman at the bottom. i also meant black widow..not window….man that’s what you get for rushing.

10. Brandon
    8/23/2012

i forgot one more

Silver Surfer #1

The movie is coming out for the first time. It will be massive. you can get this comic at extremely decent prices so the investment is very good. the appeal of silver surfer has always been great with every age. There are tons of cartoons and appearances in different comics and movies like Fantastic Four which will keep this guy going up. They were never really able to make a block buster movie with this character because of the costs. The story is a directors nightmare. When this comes out it will be absolutely amazing.

all the comics i mention you can get at NM for under 1000 bucks…some for under 500 at CGC rated quite high.