1. 1/18/2013

I thought that episode was one of the best of BBT. The scene where they are sitting in the restaurant, and started to rethink their lives and if they should grow up was a very touching scene. It felt real.

People are going to get offended at the show regardless. I bet there are a lot of doctors out there who get offended at Grey’s Anatomy too because it doesn’t show “doctor culture” accurately too.

2. 1/18/2013

Nice one Uncle Tony (lol) — I keed, I keed.

Honestly, I don’t hate BBT, and I have heard that the episode itself was funny, but I did find that the commercial for the episode, with a graphic that said “where no woman has gone before” frustrating to me as a retailer as that’s not the reality I work with on a daily basis, as women are 50% or more of my customer base and growing.

(Plus as a viewer I know that at least Penny has been to the shop on many occasions so it’s not true for even the BBT world).

To me that ad plays to a stereotype, and I found it interesting that it played — serendipitously — just days before our scheduled “Ladies Night at the Lounge” event that was proposed to us by female customers. We kicked the guys out to reinforce that message that we want female fans to feel welcome in the shop and it was very well attended and received so we plan to do it again on a regular basis. To me, portraying the comic shop as a hidey-hole for male insecurity is a very 90s.image of a comic shop, Lady Death posters and all, and isn’t it time to shelve that particular image and build something new?

Yes, BBT does reach a wider audience who may know little about shops, so that is a good thing. I did have some non-comics folks I know remark on it, including my father who thought the ad was hilarious. It’s just irking to think that that is how people see comic shops.

• 1/18/2013

The ad for that episode had a different tone and feel than the actual episode. I find that CTV’s ads for BBT really play on the nerd/geek/comic book fan negative stereotype. I don’t find the actual episodes of BBT offensive as a self proclaimed geek.

• 1/18/2013

Ed, I agree I thought I was going to hate the episode based on the ad. I thought “here’s another crack about nerds staring at girls” but once I watched the episode I actually liked it. And, as Anthony stated, it’s TV so it’s a hyper version of reality. It’s like watching CSI and comparing it to real crime scene work. It’s not at all alike.

• People still see comic shops that way because there still are a lot of comic shops like that. You know them. I know them. But until the norm becomes places like your shop the stereotype, and the jokes, will continue.

3. Colleen
    1/18/2013

I wouldn’t say I was angry, but as a woman who regularly shops at comic shops (and who has many female friends who do as well) I found myself misrepresented. So I would say disappointed rather than angry. From observation, I would say half the attendees at cons are non-guys. My kids won’t watch BBT because they think it’s making fun of them – I don’t share that view. And I did like the way the women bonded over Thor at the end.

• The crux of a lot of the humor was that the BBT comic shop doesn’t seem to have a lot of (or any) regular female clients. This is a misrepresentation for a lot of comic book shops, but not all, and there still are a lot of shops that don’t retain women as repeat customers because of poor service or treatment. I’m looking forward to the day when we talk about a comic book store being a dirty, sweat-filled man-cave as a complete anachronism from a different time. But we aren’t there yet.

4. Robert Haines
    1/18/2013

The issue I have with BBT is that is makes fun of intelligence. Not comic books, comic fans, comic shops, cosplayers, sci-fi fans, but intelligence. The laughs, be it live studio audience or laugh track, are elicited when the characters, a variety of PhDs, and MScs and MEngs, are discussing very real science.

“Gluons are the exchange particles for colour force in quarks,” says the PhD in particle physics. Cue laughter.

That happens repeatedly, every episode. Science and, by extension, intellect and learning are funny to the viewers. The audience is laughing at knowledge, and that is pathetic. But then there is an ongoing culture conflict in the United States around science and knowledge and intellect, be it States allowing creationism to be taught in Science class or the purposeful use of language such as ‘ivory towers’ and decrying those with highly specialized educations and higher degrees, so the writers are certainly playing to the current national mood.

• I don’t think that the viewing audience sees intellect as a trait ripe for derision, but rather that humor exists either in the application of complex scientific principles to the mundane or humor is found in the socially awkward, but still lovable, characters and the way in which their intellect lets them see the world. But as I said, comedy is personal. Not everyone loves dick and fart jokes either.

• I would go so far as to say BBT is THE biggest reason to the incredible upswing in the general population’s interest in science that we’ve seen in recent years. If you think they’re laughing at intelligence I don’t know what show you’ve been watching.

5. nillyville
    1/19/2013

To add to Elaborate on Robert Hanes comment, I totally agree. Having born and raised in Toronto and focused on Science in Highschool and attending Arts and Science at U of T, I was never labelled as a ‘nerd’ or ‘geek’ I was a very social guy everyone and even played for my highscool soccer team. I feel there is a big difference in how Canadians and Americans see people in general. Having also lived in the US for 10 years and also going to Harvard for a time, I can say that Americans are very quick to label and put you into a group really fast without getting to know you. Jocks are sports guys, Nerds are science geeks, Frat boys are the ones who party all teh time and skip class…even there, you’re political views subjugate you to either being a Democrat or a Republican. America loves labelling individuals. BBT should also have shown one of characters, being an amazing lacrosse player, or kicker for a football team….but again, that would be a stretch for a ‘nerd’, because with great intellect there can’t be room for physical prowess! That’s where the problem is.

6. 1/24/2013

Just to check… you’re all talking about a fictional TV show? A COMEDY, fictional TV show that isn’t real?

Ok then.

If there wasn’t a show like this, would you all be saying… “hey, where’s the show about nerds?”

can we all just relax a bit, maybe?

7. Laura
    1/24/2013

If you want a good nerdy show then you should watch Community. Crap like BBT is getting millions of watchers while a great show like Community is getting half seasons and canned.

• I assume your opinion would change if BBT had a My Little Pony episode.