Each year at Fan Expo I try to spend at least part of my time working retail. For lack of a better term I “started in the industry” in comic book retail and I always like returning to my roots. It also lets me chat with other retailers and lets me hear directly from fans about their likes and dislikes.
This year I worked with Walt at the Big B Comics booth, and as always it was a wonderful rush of hobbyists looking to find that hidden gem. We sold a lot of big books but here is a sampling of what was hot:
- Hulk #1 restored (6.0) – This was a great copy.
- Avengers #4 – Marvel movie madness keeps this one on many wish lists.
- New Mutants #98 – The Merc with a Mouth shows no signs of slowing down.
- X-Force #2 – Walt wisely managed to bring 20 copies of this and I saw 12 get snapped up by Deadpool fans that didn’t quite have the cash to buy a NM98.
- Avengers #57 – Many collectors are speculating that Vision will have a huge role in the next Avengers movie and are buying accordingly.
- Tales of Suspense #57 – Hawkeye has both a hit movie and a hot series so this one comes as no surprise.
What we saw was that a lot of keys and semi keys sold very well. People want to add key books to their collection. This does mean that other non-key books can languish unless someone is completing a run, but often non-key silver and bronze needs to be priced at less than guide to sell. As usual Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men were big sellers for people looking to complete a run, and Walt and I were happy to see a lot of young collectors getting into the hobby.